anyone have complications-needing TPN

cdnov26
on 12/24/08 11:50 am - MA
I had my surgery November 26, 2008.  On December 2nd I was placed on TPN therapy due to inability to tolerate any protein (including carnation instant breakfast).  I was also unable to hold down much fluid.  They did an endoscope December 17th and found a very small blockage and an ulcer.  I was just allowed to get off TPN as of tonight, I have a PICC line in place that hopefully will be removed Monday if I continue to now tolerate protein.  I get about 50 grams a day and 48 ounces of clear liquid.  I still need more protein and liquid but they are happy with my progress.  Wondering if anyone else has had this problem.  Because of the TPN I have not lost any weight which is very discouraging. 
purplefans
on 12/25/08 2:04 am - MA
So sorry to hear of your troubles.  Hope that  you are feeling better.

rockysmom
on 12/25/08 11:34 pm - Dartmouth, MA
Sorry to hear about your difficulties.  I have been fortunate to have no complications, so I don't have much to offer.  Strictures seem to be a common complication - is that what you mean by blockage?  It is also not unusual to develop an ulcer.  If you're getting 50 grams of protein, - that is pretty good, just keep trying to increase it bite by bite!  What is TPN?
cdnov26
on 12/26/08 5:48 am - MA
I copied from a site of a quick detail of TPN 

Total parenteral nutrition (TPN), is the practice of feeding a person intravenously, bypassing the usual process of eating and digestion. The person receives nutritional formulas containing salts, glucose, amino acids, lipids and added vitamins.

I have a PICC line in my arm which is like an IV, that I hook up the TPN to at night.  Last night was hopefully my last night of TPN.
 I had my surgery the day before yours, and I, too am having trouble getting anything down. I don't know what TPN is, though.

If I can get 48 ounces of fluid down, that's unheard of!!! I have been back in the ER to have fluids via IV once, and should've had it more, I'm sure. I'm averaging about 36 oz. a day, and maybe 40 gr. of protein a day, tops.

I have an endoscopy scheduled for today to have my sphincter between by stomach and esophagus dilated today. It needs to be stretched, apparently. I'm told that I could need to have this done 3-4 times before it actually takes. 

And I'm becoming discouraged, too. I lost quite a bit initially, but have plateaued since. Try to keep the faith. I know I'm trying to.

-----------------------------------------

Our Lady of the Holy Rollers

That's not a tiara. I just bedazzle my horns.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views